Stevia is a sugar substitute made from the leaves of the stevia plant. It’s about 100 to 300 times sweeter than table sugar, but it has no carbohydrates, calories, or artificial ingredients.
· Stevia is an intensely sweet-tasting plant that has been used to sweeten beverages and make tea.
· It is used as a non-nutritive sweetener and herbal supplement. A non-nutritive sweetener is one that contains little to no calories. Stevia is used as a healthful alternative to added sugar in many meals and beverages.
· The natural sweetener tastes 200 to 300 times sweeter than table sugar.
· Stevia can be classified as “zero-calorie,” because the calories per serving are so low.
· It has shown potential health benefits as a healthful sugar alternative for people with diabetes. Foods and beverages containing stevia can play an important role in decreasing calories from unwanted sweeteners in the diets of children.
Not everyone likes the way it tastes. Some people find it bitter, but others think stevia tastes like menthol. Try it in your morning coffee or sprinkled over your oatmeal to see if you like the taste.